©copyright P.O Haggårds
· 1751 Established by Lorenz Sauer (Principal firm).
· 1774 Lorenz Sauer and J. S Spangenberg. Coop.
· 1836 Johan Paul Sauer founded his own workshop.
· 1839 Ferdinand Spangenberg and Johan Paul Sauer, Company Spangenberg & Sauer. At this time 340 employees.
· 1843 Silver Medal, exhibition in Berlin.
· 1849 Cooperation with Spangenberg, Suhl, together with Henrich Sturm, Spangenberg, Sauer u. Sturm, Suhl.
· 1851 Johan Paul Sauer at the world exhibition in London.
· 1865 Bronze Medal, exhibition in Stettin.
· 1871 Bronze Medal, exhibition in Riga.
· 1872 Silver Medal, exhibition in Graudenz.
· 1873 Johan Paul Sauer and his sons Rudolf and Franz founded the company J.P. Sauer & Sohn.
· 1879 Patent 8322 Innovation of Back loading Rifle.
· 1880 Decided to began produce Hunting Weapons more extensively because the demand of Military was
increasing. Gold Medal, exhibition in Bromberg.
· 1881 Patent 14813 Innovation of an Drilling. World Exhibition Melbourne, Gold Medal. Int. Hunting Exhibition in
Cleve, Gold and Silver Medal.
· 1882 First known catalogue produced. Rudolf and Franz Sauer owner of the company.
· 1884 Branch in Berlin, Französische Strasse 40-41, merger with H.Pieper, Belgium.
· 1889 General Exhibition of Hunting & Fishing in Cassel, Gold Medal.
· 1891 Patent 60492 Extractor for Drop Barrel guns. Patent 60850 Bullets with self mushrooming effect.
Branch in Berlin moved 1 of July to new address Jägerstrasse 59-60.
· 1892 Patent 70343 Connection of barrels for double guns with catch-hook.
· 1893 Gun Proof law of 1891 came into force on April 01, 1893! Guns made in Germany after that must be
proofed by an official proofhouse, Crowned U were used. Between 1 of January and 31 of March,
Crowned V usedfor gun made before April 1 and were at that time in inventory stock (Vorrat). Patent
76256 Extractor devices for Drop Barrel guns. Patent 78411 Locks for Drillings. Sauer Introducing
Krupp Riflebarrels in different qualities; Krupp- Laufstahl and Special Gewehr-Laufstahl, Fried.Krupp A.G.
· 1894 Franz Sauer only owner.
· 1895 Patent 85520 Additive to patent 70343. Standard protection 17913 cocking indicator.
· 1896 Mod. Tell, Kipplauf Büchse introduced. Standard protection 47092 of cocking indicator.
· 1900 Standard protection 130243 cocking indicator.
· 1902 Patent 137381 Innovation of a recoil reducer.
· 1904 Franz son Hans become partner in the firm.
· 1907 Standard protection 321876, ejector mechanism with coil springs
· 1909 Patent 231263 Trigger device for double guns with single trigger. News, model 8 with ejectors.
· 1911 Franz son Rolf become partner in the firm.
· 1912 Suhl Proofhaus introduce to Crown N (nitro) proof stamp in April.
· 1915 Mod. 25 Drilling introduced.
· 1922 Mod. Habicht (Hawk) introduced.
· 1923 Proof dating in Suhl Proofhouse officially started in September.
· 1924 Franz Sauer died, Hans & Rolf took over the company.
· 1930 Mod. 30 First Drilling built on Blitz System. Same in lightsteel, mod 30 L being introduced.
· 1931 Official start of the Mod. 31 Bockbüchsflinte/Capegun and Bockdoppelbüchse/Express Rifle.
· 1932 Mod. 32 light simpler Drilling than Mod. 30 because of the difficult economic climate. Also
produced in lightsteel, mod 32 L. Sauer & Sohn branch in Berlin closed.
· 1933 Official start of the Mod. 33 Over and Under shotgun. Also as Capegun or double Rifle.
· 1936 Mod. 36 new kipplauf (drop barrel single rifle), with half octagonal barrel with cross bolt, also with double
cross bolt for more powerful cartridges. Patent 679834 Universal trigger devices for double guns.
Patent 695730 Double preventing locking device for double single trigger for double guns.
· 1937 Mod. 37 an simpler version of the mod. 36 without cross bolt and round barrel with soldered rib.
Both models could be provided with interchangeable barrels in different calibre.
· 1938 Patent 695925 Innovation of safety system for drillings to choice barrels to be shot. At this time 1450
· 1940 German Proof house began using Eagle N for NITRO proof marking in the month of January.
· 1945 U.S. forces arrived in Suhl on April 3. Slave workers caused factory fire of April 18. U.S. forces handed over
the city of Suhl to the Soviets July 3. Expropriation of the company ordered by the Soviets in October 30.
· 1946 Hans Sauer died in the Koncentration camp, Sachsenhausen. 2103 employees. 9500 Hunting Weapons were produced.
· 1950 in DDR J.P. Sauer & Sohn are united to the MEWA-Suhl, who include Merkel, Gebr. Greifelt & Co,
Ernst Thälmann Werk and Fortuna-Werk (formerly C.G. Haenel). Rolf Sauer sold all the right for usage
of the Brand name J.P. Sauer & Sohn to an Industrial Group in BRD.
· 1951 in BRD Reestablishment of the company J.P. Sauer & Sohn GmbH in Düsseldorf, later moved to
· 1960 in DDR VEB Fahrzeug- und Jagdwaffenwerk Ernst Thälman, Suhl still produce gun under the brand names
J.P. Sauer & Sohn, Suhl and Simson, Suhl, Haenel, Suhl and Gebrüder Merkel, Suhl.
· 1970 in DDR Simson, Merkel and Haenel were brought together and produced by Thälman. No more under the
brand name J.P. Sauer & Sohn.
· 1972 Rolf Sauer died.
· 1990 Suhler Jagd und Sportwaffen GmbH, Suhl in the reunited Germany.
(Sources: Suhl Staatsarchive, Sauer & Sohn, Suhl, band 1, Manfred Kersten and J.P. Sauer & Sohn, Peter Arfmann & Rolf Kallmeyer).